Somewhere In The Night
by
L'Phantom

~
On the day I walked away
All the blue rolled into grey
Now in the dark, alone I lay
Should have stopped
But I could never, ever stay
~

I don't think I'll ever understand why I run. I guess I've been doing it for so long it's become a habit. With the Inca finally gone, I had to find someone else to run from. But why did it have to be Tracy Vetter?

It was after I recovered from the fever. The whole thing, watching Screed die, watching myself get weaker and weaker; it made me feel something I hadn't felt in nearly 500 years: my mortality. And Tracy was right there with me, watching it happen and not being able to stop it.

After I buried Screed, I left. I just left. I didn't take anything from the church, didn't bother to tie up loose ends; I just left. And in doing so, I left behind my beautiful Tracy.

I know she was never really "my" Tracy, but I gradually began to see her as such. After I left. After it was too late.

~
Somewhere in the night
Inside my dreams you burn so bright
And I'm with you there and everything's all right
Somewhere in the night
Before the darkness turns to light
Let me love you there
Somewhere in the night
~

The dreams started exactly two weeks after I left. I see her standing on a hill, her arms widely outstretched.

"Come to me," I hear her say. As I close the gap between us, I see that she is more beautiful than I had ever seen her. I take her into my arms and hold her close to me.

"Tracy, I..." I start to say, but before I can say "love you," her body bursts into flames hotter than the sun. I always wake up as I feel my clothes begin to burn.

~
Second chances I won't get
Wouldn't dare to hope, and yet
Everywhere I turn I see your silhouette
Been so long
But I never will forget
~

I've never felt this way about a mortal before and that scares the hell out of me. I have faced and slain countless men with swords, spears, and guns, and one little, naive, mortal girl scares me to death.

Death. Tracy thinks I'm dead. I know this, but why do I still expect her to be looking for me? Why is it that every young blond woman I see has her face? Why do I hear her calling to me from every shadow? And why can I never get away?

~
Somewhere in the night
Inside my dreams you burn so bright
And I'm with you there and everything's all right
Somewhere in the night
Before the darkness turns to light
Let me see your face
Feel your warm embrace
Let me love you...
Somewhere in the night
~

Tracy, I love you. Tracy, I hate you. Tracy, I need you. Tracy, be my Tracy; just for a century or so. I'm not dead, Tracy. At least, not any more than before. I'm not dead. But I'm scared, Trace. And I'm alone.

But you'll never know. Live your mortal life. Play your mortal games. Die your mortal death. And maybe every so often, remember me. Because, in the end, you're the only one who will.


The End




 Lyrics for "Somwhere in the Night" written & performed by Scott Bakula in episode #045 of tv show Quantum Leap.