A Letter From Vachon
by Lynn Messing

On a barstool in the Raven sat Vachon. His unfocused eyes pointed in the direction of his glass of house special, which he idly rolled between his hands. His mood was as dark as his hair, and had been for the past few days, ever since Tracy had hand-delivered her Dear John letter. His vampiric hearing, which permitted him to detect sounds inaccessible to mortals, was currently being bombarded not only by the noises typical in any bar, but also by the opening monologue of the Nightcrawler's program. He let his attention wander to the D.J.'s dulcet tones.

The subject for tonight's discussion is letters. Today we have electronic mail, sent instantly around the world from one faceless individual to another. How typical of the current age. But not so long ago, letters would take months to reach their intended destinations, if they ever did. Letters were the primary way people in distant lands communicated.

We must not underestimate their importance. You will recall that epistles about an obscure carpenter's son written by an even more obscure tent maker helped establish a religion that still thrives two millennia later.

But letters were not just written by the ancients. Even today, they have the power to tear people asunder and draw them together again. To hurt or to heal.


"Figures," thought Vachon. "Knight's out of town, so the General decides to preach to me instead."

What letters have you received that have moved you the most? You can tell me, gentle listeners, for I am the Nightcrawler.

As the sound booth filled with the strains of Janacek's Intimate Letters Quartet, Vachon contemplated LaCroix's little lecture. Letters had the power to tear people asunder ... and draw them together again. Hmmm....



Tracy finished the last of the night's paperwork and left the station for her car. She was about to enter it when she noticed a sheet of paper lying on the driver's seat. Intrigued, she picked it up and began to read:

Dear Tracy,

Before you throw this letter out without reading it, think about what is fair -- you are big on fair, correct? Is it fair to hand me that last letter without allowing me to respond?

You are still reading. Good. First: You want some space? You have it. This letter is the last you will hear from me.

I am a pretty private guy. You know I do not like talking about my feelings; but you obviously need to hear them. You asked me what you were to me: you are a very special friend. You know we cannot be more unless you are willing to undergo some major changes ... and I do not think they are the sort of changes you want to make.

I enjoy being with you, Tracy, and I am not trying to change you. But I am who and what I am, and you know I am not going to change, either. I have never asked you to become like me, or even to think like me. You say you are afraid my views are becoming yours, but have I ever told you my views unless you first asked? Have I ever asked you to be something you are not? Have I ever shown disappointment in who you are? (And can you say you have been as accepting of me?) You wrote that you were scared of losing yourself to me, but is your problem really with me, or with yourself? Because if it is not with me, then running from me is not going to help. Believe me, Tracy, I know what I am talking about.

So, if you still want to run, that is your choice, Trace. I hope you find what you are looking for. But if you change your mind, you know where I live -- at least for now. I cannot say how long I will stay here before I decide it is time to move on.

Abrazos,
Vachon




Vachon smiled to himself when he heard the familiar heartbeat. He continued to pick out arpeggios as her footsteps approached.

"Hi, Vachon. Can we talk?"

"Sure, Trace."


END



"Abrazos" is Spanish for embrace/hug and is a sign-off that can be used by friends, family members, or lovers. My thanks to Margot Kinberg for suggesting this word.

I'd like to thank Bonnie for her help in beta-reading this piece, and for her encouragements to write it in the first place. My thanks also go to Nancy Taylor for beta-ing it. It is far the better for their suggestions.